Sunday, March 15, 2015

Letter 2 - A Living Church

September 16, 2014

Dear Brothers & Sisters in Christ,

Tomorrow, I will be going in for another infusion for chemotherapy.  Thanks again for your prayers.  As mentioned before, I would like to share my thoughts in short letters.

Since the beginning of our church, we have seen that the Lord has been working.  In spite of many limitations (such as not enough space, the transient nature of student ministry, the challenges in our county, etc.), we have seen hundreds becoming His disciples.  Quite a few are serving in different areas of our church.  Quite a few have graduated from seminary.  A few members have become career ministers & missionaries.

Will this continue for the next 50 years? 

To continue, our church needs coworkers to manage the ministries for decades to come.  We need to continue to multiply new generations of coworkers to sustain the strategic ministries.  Otherwise, our church will become a monument. 

A monument testifies to the good old days, the past successes.  Yet, past successes are no guarantee for future successes.  They only contribute to nostalgia.

I treasure Paul’s directive to Timothy, “and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. (2 Tim 2:2, ESV)   This verse has been guiding my philosophy of ministry.

You are the church.  To be a living church, you also need to apply this verse to our church ministries.  Would you “keep a close watch on your life and teaching” (1 Tim 4:16) so that you are equipped to teach the word of truth to others also?  Would you join me in raising up the next generation of coworkers for our church?  Would you pray with me that coworkers will continue to keep the fire going?  Would you pray with me that missionaries will be sent out from our church?

I hope that you share my heart.  Pray that our church will continue to be a living church. 

May you have the joy of seeing our church continue as a living church.

God bless.
Pastor To

No comments:

Post a Comment